Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Goodbye Oreo

I made a decision yesterday to say goodbye to a friend that I've known for nearly 20 years. It's one of the more heartbreaking things I've ever had to do. I've had my cat, Oreo, since I was a little girl. I love her, which is why I had to do this. She'd gotten sick and it was cancer, quick growing. So today, I let her go. The vet was very compassionate and has been over the course of caring for her. She went quickly and quietly and isn't suffering anymore, but I miss her desperatley. I know some people don't understand how people can get so attached to an animal, but well, you can. If you can't understand it, I'm not going to waste time explaining it.




My whole family came to the vet with me, and my father made her a lovely little box in which to bury her. It made it easier having them all there. She really was a special cat...sweetest thing I've ever known. I feel blessed that I got to be her owner for so long.



That's really all I have to say. RIP Oreo. I love you

5 comments:

Mandy said...

Wow. 20 years is an amazing life for a cat. I am so sorry. I'm a mom to two "fur babies" myself and we lost our Bonnie last summer. It was so painful. I'm so sorry you had to let Ore go, but commend you for giving her ana mazing, loving hom for so many years...and a compassionate ending.

Elizabeth Douglas said...

Thanks you very much for your kind words. Yeah, 20 years is a long life and I'm really thankful it was for the most part, a very good one. I'm sorry about the loss of your Bonnie...I can truly empathize with you about how painful it is to let them go.I feel very blessed to have had the time with Oreo I did and glad that I was able to give her a compassionate ending...she deserved a better than to suffer. Thanks again.
~Liz

Mj in Md said...

Pefectly understand the loss of a pet. Oreo looks alot like my deceased cat, Boo Boo Kitty. :-)
LOVED her...she too was special and so much fun. I had her for 15 yrs.
I'm very sorry for your loss, but glad you had so much time with her.
Marja

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elizabeth Douglas said...

Thanks Marja. It was a good long time with her. She looks like your Boo Boo Kitty, eh? I've had a few people tell me she lookes like cats they've had or have. I've seen a couple of cats around lately that have really reminded me of her. It's kind of bittersweet...but more sweet. :)